Friday, December 9, 2011

Do You Like to be Surprised, or Do You Prefer Anticipation?

(I personally prefer Anticipation)


I needed a happy-spot over these last couple of days and I think I found it. Everyone should know I retreat to book-land when I'm looking for it. So I found a new book. And finished it in less than a day.


If you can read anything for the Christmas Holiday, if you've the time to read at all, read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas. Even if you hate the holiday season - and even if Christmas makes you especially vomitous. Even if you want to wallow in misery and bemoan the cruelties of life. Read it.


It's delightfully optimistic and romantic with ups and downs and young, sweet ideals of love and lovers and maybe losing your virginity - or just your first kiss. Read it because it might make you laugh or sniffle or smile or maybe even feel hope if only for a millisecond.


Be proud when you march into the teen fiction section of your local bookstore, searching for it alphabatized under Cohn (or maybe Levithan if your bookseller was confused when shelving) and pick up that book off the shelf. It needs someone to read it. No, it doesn't matter that it's targeted at the teen market, it's well written and we all need some nostalgia from time to time. Sweet, saccharine nostalgia.


You need a book to read. I needed that particular book to read. I think I can smile for a bit now.
Read it because it's hopeful, and let's be honest, we need some hope right now. 


Read it because I dare you to.


"I knew the truth: It was so much cooler to be the weird girl." -pp. 54 Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.

7 comments:

  1. I always kind of liked to read the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe around Christmas time. Although I guess it isn't a Christmas story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, if you wanted to talk here's my email address. jademedicinerabbit@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Opal.

    There's winter involved in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, close enough as far as I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's also Santa Claus, and a reinterpretation of the death of Christ. :) Although I think that might make it more of an Easter story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a running habit of...well...My parents bought one of those "place your own names into stories" books for me when I was a kid. A christmas one. Santa getting some children's help. It's kind've sad but I've re-read it every christmas.

    Anyway. Lis has been following my blog for a little while. I've only just started to do research into all this so just read up on this blog among others.

    I...well I'm sorry for all you've all been through. I don't know if that means anything. I'm just glad you're holding up okay at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's Santa in that book? I totally don't remember Santa! I guess I'll be reading some CS Lewis this Christmas.

    Also, Mr. Grayson? That's not sad. It's wonderful. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, so long as you don't get caught up in it.

    Lissie reads all the blogs. I don't know where she finds the time, but she does. And she cares. Thank you, in all honesty thank you. Your sentiments are appreciated, even if we may not know each other so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could use some hope that doesn't lead to death.

    ReplyDelete